Friday, March 11, 2011

Australia's best pale ale ?

My previous post contained a qualifed statement about Alpha Pale Ale being Australia's best American Pale Ale. The qualification being that it is 'widely available'.

This got me thinking about the veracity of my claim. In my fridge at the moment is probably Australia's best American Pale Ale ("APA"). And I'm not really sure if it's all that scarce so as to not compare with Alpha's availability.

I'm talking about Stone & Wood's Pacific Ale (previously known as Draught Ale).  I picked it up at 1st Choice at Forestville NSW (aka Crown of the Hill).



OK, sorry, I've had this carton in the fridge for the last couple of months, and haven't quite gotten around to telling you about it. I've taken the photo, just not as yet supported it with formal commentary.

What sets this beer apart from the run-of-the-mill APA is the choice of hops. APAs are notable in their use of American hops, particularly the 3 C's (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook) and Amarillo. This beer however uses an Antipodean variety: Galaxy.  In fact it's been mooted that a 'Pacific Ale' style might be a bona fide style different to the APA...less citrus and more tropical notes. And different also to the 'Aussie Sparkling/Pale', which is considered to be a sub-branch of English Pale Ale  - think Coopers and all that I've waffled on about before.

(As an aside, also consider how the Knappstein Reserve Lager set itself apart from the crowd by using the NZ Nelson Sauvin hop to impart its distinctive fruitiness...... 'Pacific Lager' perhaps).

I think, therefore, I can still support my claim of Alpha being the best Aussie APA.  The Pacific Ale is the best, ahem, Pacific Pale Ale......

Stone & Wood Pacific Ale: outstanding late hop aromas, tropical fruits such as guava, & passionfruit (my Mum even detected frangipani). Refreshing and light body, 4.4% ABV.... top class warm-climate session ale.

I think it set me back $65-$70 (AUD) for the carton of 24.

ADDENDUM: Stone & Wood didn't figure in the Sydney Royal Beer Show results. Perhaps they didn't enter. I'll try to find out.....

ADDENDUM+1: Brewer was judge, hence no entry. Thanks Matt, again.

1 comment:

  1. Agree totally, this was my go to beer for summer. The nose is all passion fruit but its not too fruity, very drinkable. And from a homebrewer's perspective its really easy to get the lables of their bottles!

    ReplyDelete

australianplanet.com
Aussie Beer Blog is in

Aussie Beer Blog

Aussie Beer Blog